Monday, June 27, 2011

Meet the Seller - Lin from Moz-Art

Meet Lin and Moz-Art. 
This is Lin's first Devonport Craft Market 
and we know you will be so excited to see her creations.
Read more about Lin and her influences in this Meet the Seller interview.

Where did you come up with your stall name?
I’m  Belgian, moved here now 5 years ago and I speak Flemish which is dialect of Dutch. ` Mozaiek `in Dutch means mosaic . Because that is what I have been doing for as long as I can remember now ,even in my wearable art cause I consider every single item that I make a mosaic art piece. Bits and pieces of left-overs and recycled and new materials all brought together and  turned into a one-off garment.  So Moz-art ( Mosaicart) was born, and the fact that Mozart is European as well makes it even more alluring."

What is your craft?
I don’t 'box' myself in, you know, I do so many thing, but only things that I love doing. So maybe I guess mosaic in general is my craft and  I extended it to all sort of medium ,I guess. I’ve been a window-dresser in Belgium for 15 years and that as  well is kind of a mosaic. You start of with an empty box and fill it up with bits and pieces into something beautiful, into' eye candy'. But what I focus on now the most is creating one-off skirts and clothing and bags for women who want to show their strong energy, their happiness in wearing that color and fabric combination that defines them, that one-off created for that woman.

How did you start creating?
My grandfather was a tailor. He made suits and uniforms for the sailors and marines, he had a workshop on the riverside of Antwerp. I redesigned his old label(70yaers old) into the one that I’m using for my creations. And my mum was always creating and making clothes for me and my sister. Nobody ever taught me but chatting with my mum, even when I was a little girl, while she was creating, I think it just got stuck in my head from watching and it just comes out while I create. So no pattern thinking, just doing what I feel, what I love while I’m creating.           

What inspires you?
Everyday life, that what surrounds me, colors, people, trees, nature, the ocean........, New Zealand...... And my walks....... I walk everyday through gorgeous bush and awesome beaches first thing in the morning before I start creating and it energizes my creative soul.......ideas, colors, combinations keep on rolling in on those walks and it keeps me going, keep me loving it more and more everyday

What is your favourite book?
As I’m so busy with creating and loving that I don’t find often the time to read a book...... But the book that changed my life  is `The power of Now` by Eckhart Tolle.
It made me look at life in a different way and find my inner strength to believe in my power to do what I really love, to believe in the power of my soul..... and live the life that I’m living and loving so much.......so I guess that is definitely my favorite book.

And your favourite food?
That must be Italian. Being Belgian, being European ,that must be the only thing what I sometimes really miss here, is the real European food. I adore Italian food, could eat it everyday, the simpler the better. A real Italian pasta Napoletana: pasta, olive oil, the right herbs and real Italian tomatoes........mmmmmmmh brilliant.
Oh and real mozzarella, fresh basil and tomatoes.......yummmmm, real European bread......Yes, that is definitely the only thing here  that I miss!           

This is your first time at The Devonport Craft Market, where else can people find you?
I work from home and Matapihi gallery in Raglan, so you are more then welcome to visit me there.
I work at a number of weekend markets. You can find me at Titirangi market, Coatesville summer markets, Raglan creative market, Tamahere market and during the summer season on heaps of festivals and galas; Greylynn festival, Keltic fair, Martinborough fair.
You can also find me online on www. moz-art.co.nz.

Make sure you come down and see Lin on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment