Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Meet the Seller - Rose from Rose in Thorns


Meet Rose from Rose in Thorns. A long time crafter, Rose is a multi-talented artist and crafter whose primary craft is candle making.


Where did you learn your craft?
My mother is very crafty, so taught me a lot of different crafts when I was young.

What inspires you?
The resurgence of craft has been has been a great influence, with all the new craft fairs popping up, online marketplaces such as Felt, and the craft community as a whole, through reading blogs and meeting people. My philiosophy is to create things that are sustainable, beautiful and functional. So I am often inspired by the materials themselves, as I think of ways to repurpose them into something beautiful.

What is your favourite book?
I don't have a favourite book, I have read so many! At the moment I am re-reading Mary Poppins, they are a childhood classic, and as my mum always says, so much better than the movie.

And your favourite food?
I have recently been diagnosed with Coeliac disease, and can't eat gluten any more. So anytime I discover a gluten free version of something I have had to give up, I can get quite excited...


Favourite inspiration site or online shop:
Lovely Sweet William is my favorite blog.

How did you come up with your stall name?
It was originally 'Rose among thorns' – a play on my name, and a reference to finding beauty in the unexpected – one instance being recycling old candles into beautiful new ones.

When you are not the the Devonport Craft market - where can people buy your wares?
Online at Felt, Toggle and hopefully a selection of shops in Auckland soon.

Rose has a generous offer for anyone who reads this profile read on for the details!
Anyone who spends $20 or more at the market, and mentions they saw this interview will receive a free tealight of their choice. An offer not to be missed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment