Friday, November 15, 2013

Meet the Seller: Ruth Bramble from Ruth Bramble Ceramics




What is your craft?
I love to play and doodle and create whimsical hand built, thrown, and figurative items in Stoneware. My inspirations are generally drawn from the natural world around us, plants, trees, the seaside, vintage fabrics and antiques.
I delight in rummaging through junk shops and discovering old bric-a-brac objects that I can use in my work, crochet lace table mats, doylies, brocades, and wooden printing blocks.

Some of the objects I make are functional, some are purely decorative. To build up colour on my work, I use a variety of oxides and slips, with Sgraffito, stamps and sprigs for texture and decoration. I see my work as a three- dimensional scrap book that is constantly evolving.



How did you get in to making?
I have always drawn, painted and made crafts, and from an early age I knew I was drawn to a career in the Arts. After Secondary School, I went to Art College and studied an Art Foundation Year. After specializing in Fashion, I went on to study a Fashion/Textile Degree at Nottingham Trent University, After graduating, I worked as a Menswear Designer for many of the High Street Stores.

In 2003 I was reintroduced to Ceramics again by chance, when I did an intensive Ceramic Summer School at Edinburgh College Of Art. I spent two wonderful weeks making and experimenting with colour and surface pattern, and since then I have been well and truly hooked on clay.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
I have been fortunate enough to have participated in numerous weekend workshops and evening classes, and In 2009 went to Newcastle Art College and studied a part- time Foundation Degree in Contemporary Ceramics.
I have met many talented and generous people who have passed on their skills and knowledge at various stages along the way, and remain influential in my practice.



What is your favourite music and food?
I like a wide range of music, ranging from Mumford and Sons to Frank Sinatra, however at the moment I have been listening rather a lot to Texas “The Conversation”.

My favorite food is Peanuts Butter and Banana on Toast.

When you are not making - what do you like to do?
I like to run, cycle and spend many happy hours beachcombing for sand washed items.
I also work part-time as an Endoscopy Nurse at MacMurray Digestive Clinic in Remuera.






No comments:

Post a Comment